MONTHLY DOS MEETING
This month the Denver Orchid Society will have Jean Stefanik speaking on Temperate North American Orchids including Conservation. Jean is an accredited AOS judge whose primary orchid passion is species orchids, and the habitats to which they have adapted throughout the world. She enjoys traveling, photographing orchids and other plants and animals in nature, and meeting people from other cultures. Jean is a lifelong New Englander. North American travels have included the Arctic in Canada to California, New England and the Maritimes, and from Arizona to the Florida swamps containing the extremely rare ghost orchids. She has also made several trips, some for several months at a time, to Costa Rica, Ecuador, New Zealand and Australia, often volunteering as an eco-tourist. Conservation of orchids means conservation of native habitats, a theme which permeates her talks. She serves on the Boards of the Native Orchid Conference, the Orchid Digest, and as a member of the Species Identification Task Force for the American Orchid Society.
Watch your email for Web connect information.
Meeting General Information
The Denver Orchid Society meets on the 2nd Tuesday of every month, with the exception of a summer break in July and August. Our meetings include a short business discussion, an informal Show-and-Tell, an expert speaker orchid presentation, and the sale of orchid plants.
2021 Meeting Schedule
- January 12 — Arthur Katz : AOS Judging
- February 9 — Fred Clark : Cycnoches, Mormodes, and Catasetums, recent trends
- March 9 — Jean Stefanik : Temperate North American Orchids including Conservation
- April 13 — Carol Buele : Lycaste introduction and culture
- May 11 — Dr. Alfonso Douchette : Pleurothallids: Diversity & Cultivation
- June 8 — Norman Fang : Peloric Orchids
- July 13 — Mary Jo Gilsford : Orquideos Locos: Orchid Hunting in Costa Rica
- August 10 — Dr. Kristen Uthus : Masdevallias and Draculas: Not as Scary as You Think
- September 14 — Mary Mancini : Stanhopea and Coryanthes
- October 12 — Ron Parsons : TBD
- November 9 — Steve Arthur : Orchid Viruses, Their Spread and Control
- December 14 — Carol Klonowski : South African Orchids
Rocky Mountain Judging Center Sessions
2019 RMJC Schedule
Judging sessions are open to all orchid growers and are held on the 2nd Saturday of each month at the Colorado Federation-Garden Clubs building, 1556 Emerson Street in Denver. Off-street parking is available. Centrally located just north of Colfax, this location is close to Denver Botanic Gardens. Everyone is welcome, so try to attend at least once. Bring your best plants and stay a while. It is a great educational experience.
6:00 p.m. – Judges training
6:30 p.m. – Plant registration
7:00 p.m. – Judging begins (except during the DOS annual show in which case judging starts the morning before the show opens to the public.)