Interested members of the general public are welcome to attend up to two meetings before deciding whether to join the Denver Orchid Society. We are currently meeting by Zoom only, and you are free to lurk there without audio or video to see what we’re about (you can use audio and video if you want) . To be sent a Zoom link to check us out just send a request to Jerry D’Amato at email@example.com . We hope you will join us.
MONTHLY DOS MEETING
This month’s program for the Denver Orchid Society will be “New color form of Phalaenopsis species” presented by Norman Fang. Even before 1988, when he received his degree in Ornamental Horticulture from California State Polytechnic University in Pomona, Norman Fang was already immersed in orchids. In 1986, he started his renowned nursery, Norman’s Orchids, based in both California and Taiwan, where his parents, brother and sister soon joined him as the company grew. Norman has been exhibiting at shows across the US, he has received more than 400 American Orchid Society flower quality awards and 20 AOS Show Trophies. .
As the second youngest judge to become fully accredited, Norman has traveled around the world to judge orchid shows, from Asia to South Africa, from Canada to South America And as a former Vice President of the American Orchid Society and having also Chaired their Development Committee, he is currently serving on their Public Relations Committee. As an active member of several affiliated societies, Norman is a sought-after guest speaker for society meetings, shows and conferences. He generously supports Judging Centers, societies and the AOS with generous financial, scholarship and plant donations.
Watch your email for Web connect information.
Meeting General Information
The Denver Orchid Society meets on the 2nd Tuesday of every month, with the exception of a summer break in July and August. Our meetings include a short business discussion, an informal Show-and-Tell, an expert speaker orchid presentation, and the sale of orchid plants.
2021 Meeting Schedule
- January 12 — Arthur Katz : AOS Judging
- February 9 — Fred Clark : Cycnoches, Mormodes, and Catasetums, recent trends
- March 9 — Jean Stefanik : Temperate North American Orchids including Conservation
- April 13 — Carol Buele : Lycaste introduction and culture
- May 11 — Marni Turkel : The Lesser Known Oncidium Alliance
- June 8 — Norman Fang : New color form of Phalaenopsis species
- July 13 — Mary Jo Gilsford : Orquideos Locos: Orchid Hunting in Costa Rica
- August 10 — Dr. Kristen Uthus : Masdevallias and Draculas: Not as Scary as You Think
- September 14 — Mary Mancini : Stanhopea and Coryanthes
- October 12 — Ron Parsons : TBD
- November 9 — Steve Arthur : Orchid Viruses, Their Spread and Control
- December 14 — Carol Klonowski : South African Orchids
Rocky Mountain Judging Center Sessions
2019 RMJC Schedule
Judging sessions are open to all orchid growers and are held on the 2nd Saturday of each month at the Colorado Federation-Garden Clubs building, 1556 Emerson Street in Denver. Off-street parking is available. Centrally located just north of Colfax, this location is close to Denver Botanic Gardens. Everyone is welcome, so try to attend at least once. Bring your best plants and stay a while. It is a great educational experience.
6:00 p.m. – Judges training
6:30 p.m. – Plant registration
7:00 p.m. – Judging begins (except during the DOS annual show in which case judging starts the morning before the show opens to the public.)