Interested members of the general public are welcome to attend up to two meetings before deciding whether to join the Denver Orchid Society. We are currently meeting by Zoom only, and you are free to lurk there without audio or video to see what we’re about (you can use audio and video if you want) . To be sent a Zoom link to check us out just send a request to Jerry D’Amato at firstname.lastname@example.org . We hope you will join us.
MONTHLY DOS MEETING
The December meeting will be presented by Carol Klonowski . The title of his talk will be “Orchids of South Africa”.
Carol Klonowski has been growing orchids since the 1980’s when a friend in Berkeley, California, gave her a Cattleya and it bloomed out with three big, dark lavender flowers and an intoxicating fragrance. She built an entire greenhouse in her backyard to accommodate the precious plant, which only led her to buy more orchids. Then another friend gave her a gift membership to the Orchid Society of California, and it’s been a serious passion ever since. She is an accredited judge with the American Orchid Society, and current President of the Orchid Society of California.
Her presentation on the Orchids of South Africa will take everyone on a tour of the orchid growing areas of this fascinating part of Africa and the world. Long known as one of the gardens hot-spots of the planet, South Africa has a diverse and fascinating number of habitats and climates that provide a robust setting for flora and fauna of all types.
We are still meeting remotely by Zoom, so watch your email for connect information.
Meeting General Information
The Denver Orchid Society meets on the 2nd Tuesday of every month, with the exception of a summer break in July and August. Our meetings include a short business discussion, an informal Show-and-Tell, an expert speaker orchid presentation, and the sale of orchid plants.
2021 Meeting Schedule
- January 12 — Arthur Katz : AOS Judging
- February 9 — Fred Clark : Cycnoches, Mormodes, and Catasetums, recent trends
- March 9 — Jean Stefanik : Temperate North American Orchids including Conservation
- April 13 — Carol Buele : Lycaste introduction and culture
- May 11 — Marni Turkel : The Lesser Known Oncidium Alliance
- June 8 — Norman Fang : New color form of Phalaenopsis species
- July 13 — No Meeting
- August 10 — No Meeting
- September 14 — David Haeltermani : Stanhopeinae, Gongora, Coryanthes, the Hidden Gems of Colombia.
- October 12 –– Dr. Kristen Uthus : Masdevallias and Draculas: Not as Scary as You Think
- November 9 — Nile Dusdieker : Orchids over the Andes
- December 14 — Carol Klonowski : South African Orchids
Rocky Mountain Judging Center Sessions
2019 RMJC Schedule
Judging sessions are open to all orchid growers and are held on the 2nd Saturday of each month at the Colorado Federation-Garden Clubs building, 1556 Emerson Street in Denver. Off-street parking is available. Centrally located just north of Colfax, this location is close to Denver Botanic Gardens. Everyone is welcome, so try to attend at least once. Bring your best plants and stay a while. It is a great educational experience.
6:00 p.m. – Judges training
6:30 p.m. – Plant registration
7:00 p.m. – Judging begins (except during the DOS annual show in which case judging starts the morning before the show opens to the public.)